Friday, May 2, 2014

Mt. Pleasant Pastor's Desktop article for May 2014



“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.  Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge.  There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.  Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.”
(Psalm 19:1-4a NIV)
            Spring has got to be my favorite time of the year, but I think that has something to do with the relief that spring brings after a cold hard winter.  The words to an old camp song come to mind as well: “What a wondrous time is spring when all the trees are budding, the birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming…”  The new life bursting forth all around us is so evident in spring especially after the landscape has been dull shades of gray and brown, or in the case of last winter, white for so long. 
            Nancy and I had the opportunity to walk through a park with my son and his family that I remember walking through nearly every Mother’s Day afternoon of my childhood with my grandparents, mom, and siblings.  The flood of memories was rich, but so was making new memories with my grandchildren.  Pointing out hollow trees, stopping to admire wildflowers, listening for woodpeckers, and other birds was a poignant reminder of those who had done the same with me so many years ago.
            All those memories cause me to reflect as well on the glory of God who has provided both the material for the memories, and the loved ones to make them with.  Helping others to know, appreciate and love the one who made all of this is both humbling and gratifying.  The psalmist closes this song with a similar thought.  “Who can discern His errors?  Forgive my hidden faults.  Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me.  Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression.  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” (Psalm 19:12-14)
            Take time to stop and admire the wonders of spring, but remember then to worship the one who created it for His glory and our pleasure.  Then may that time of reflection on Him cause us to humble ourselves before Him and examine our own hearts and lives.
           
                           
By His Grace Alone,
Pastor Bruce Jacobsen

No comments:

Post a Comment